Almost all of the orgs I work with that deal with “cases” be they grant applications or incident reports etc, use an internal tracking code for the “case” a unique, internal reference.
The code is usually alphanumeric and has some metadata coded into like the theme, date, department.
staff should be able to choose one of:
- Completely randomly generated hash with a setable length
- Entirely auto-generated based on a defined preset convention (for eg: SPF-2020-Q1-00332 where SPF = fund or theme or program, 2021 = year, Q1 = quarter, 00332 = auto incremented serial number)
- Entirely created by staff on first interaction with a submission
- while creating a Fund/Lab.
- detail displays
- as a filter
possibly also should be able to set this while creating the fund/lab
- if it moves between program area or theme and hence the code needs to change (?)
- remains locked and unedtiable