Translating Hypha terminology across languages & organizations

Based on a brief discussion in the Maintainer’s call 9/28/21 (notes here), it seems that the best way to translate terminology specific for an organization is going to be using Weblate, specifically the “Glossary” component.

The reason for this—as I understand it, @frjo please correct me if I have it wrong—is that the .po file contains every string (aka bit of text, for anyone reading this who isn’t a developer/coder) in Hypha that could be translated, including the strings that might be translated into other languages. If you created a version that has en_ARDC for your implementation, and someone wanted to view ARDC’s Hypha page translated into Spanish, for instance, localization software that does the translations wouldn’t recognize “en_ARDC” as a valid language code and so translation would fail (or it might default to using the .po file in the en_US folder, which wouldn’t include your org-specific terminology).

The primary hurdle to using Weblate to translate that I can see right now is that the Glossary component on Weblate is not populated with the terminology that could be translated between organizations, but it is something we can work on.

@frjo, do you know if anyone can contribute to the Hypha Weblate Glossary (and if yes, what the workflow is for contributions) or if you need specific permissions to contribute? I can also look into this, but thought I’d ask whether the knowledge already existed within our team.

If it turns out you can contribute directly to Weblate, you could potentially start populating the Glossary component with the strings ARDC needs to be org-specific. This is the link to Weblate’s documentation page about Glossaries, and from there you can also get to pages about how to set up an account and add strings and stuff.

If someone with permissions needs to do it, we could create a list elsewhere (e.g. a Google doc) of the org-specific terminology that will need to be translated, and it can be added to the Glossary by someone who can do that.