Translating Hypha terminology across languages & organizations

What the best way to translate for an organization is something I’m trying to figure out right now.

I’ve made en_ARDC as a locale in our fork, which works and is better than what we’ve been doing, which is to maintain modifications to the main English django.po file, but it feels a little bit like a misuse of the locale codes and I wonder what happens if we wanted to have a distinction between en_GB and en_US, say (I noticed “programme” on some slides at the adopters meeting the other day).

According to the Django docs, looks like I could also do those overrides in a Django app, (e.g. hypha.ardc) which would give us some flexibility on the order they’re applied (after en_XX) and keeps a 1-to-1 match to locale names (so, the ARDC locales would just be named “en” and “es” etc.), but I haven’t investigated how to integrate that with Weblate or settled on exactly where to put it.

Unless I was mistaken, there appeared to be some interest from ARDC in non-English languages at the meeting, so I assume we’re going to want to make their custom vocabulary translatable into other languages.

I’m posting here because I’m interested in how others will solve the same issue.